The Responsible Business Alliance 2020 Compass Award
The Responsible Business Alliance awarded us their 2020 Compass Award for the development and implementation of an environmental health & safety (EH&S) software to mitigate ergonomic risks through automation and enhanced visibility.
This initiative comes from our Sorocaba, Brazil site where 70 - 80% of manufacturing activities are considered repetitive, leading the team to look for an automated solution to enhance and streamline the visibility of ergonomic assessments and improve action time.
As part of our EH&S practices and before building a customer’s product, we design instructions for operators, which includes completing the OCRA checklist. The OCRA methodology provides high precision when analyzing movements classified with ergonomic risk, directing improvements and corrective actions.
The prior process to complete the checklist:
- Required manually sharing 5,000+ spreadsheets
- Involved thousands of reviews, which proved time consuming
- Needed heavy analysis and validation of information
- Didn’t portray a historical picture of each employee’s activities
While there were many available tools on the market, none tracked historical information per employee, a key requirement of identifying and expediting corrective efforts.
To build the solution in house, the site partnered with IT, and together, developed a software known as EH&S Smart.
The home-grown software:
- Automatically notifies the appropriate team member to complete a specific step of the OCRA checklist
- Provides ergonomic history of workstations and team member exposure
- Supports recommendations to prevent ergonomic risks
- Standardizes dashboards to improve production planning, ambulatory care, occupational health and safety, etc.
- Enables filtering of key indicators for different views of the data based on needs
As a result of the tool being implemented, the Sorocaba team reduced ergonomic risks, decreased number of lost days, and subsequently, reduced the absenteeism rate and associated costs by approximately 40%.
EH&S Smart was deployed at other Brazil facilities within 6 months, and plans for replicability at other sites globally are underway.
Learn more about the 2020 Compass Awards